Friday, April 15, 2011

Back to Normal

This time last week, I was just emerging from a drug induced state.
Appedectomy last Tuesday. 
To say that it's not what I had planned for last week would be the understatement of the year. 
Ben was in London, and the to do list was lengthy. 
And so, my appendix decided to require attention.
I took the kids to school, and then I took myself to Urgent Care.  I had called my regular Doctor's office, but they couldn't see me before 4 pm.  I requested that a nurse call me to see if I could get a different appointment time. 
The Urgent Care doctor told me he couldn't do a blood test, so he gave me my $10 back recommended that I go to the ER 
Except I didn't WANT to go to the ER; I knew I'd be there forever, and WEE School pick up is at 1:00 pm. 
Oh, how niiave of me to expect to be at WEE School Pick up.
The nurse did call, and she wrangled an appointment for me at 12:15.  By 1:30 pm, I was on my way to CMC Pineville for a CT Scan.  The scan confirmed that it was, indeed, appendicitis. I was instructed to walk over to the adjoining ER and have myself admitted for surgery.
While my husband is on another continent.
While my children are with friends, who graciously picked them up from school, took them home, cared for them, loved them, and kept me posted via texts and phone calls. (Side note:  I got a text while at the Dr's office that said, "I have Ben.  I won't feed him any dairy.  Does he nap?".  I texted back:  "Thank you so much!  Yes, he naps. Who are you?"  I suspected that it was my friend Laura, and it was. Chrystal had Anna Kate, and I knew they were both in good hands. 
I had emailed with Ben earlier in the morning, around 5:30 am when I was feeling miserable, so he knew I wasn't feeling well.  I wish I had seen his face when he received my 1:25pm text that said, "Going for CT scan.  Maybe appencicitis."  Ah, the glamorous life of the international traveller.

By 8:30 that evening, I was appendix-less.
A week later, I'm nearly back to normal.
I'm thankful for friends who stepped in and took care of children and us by providing meals.  I'm thankful for parents who jumped into their car to drive to our rescue. 
And  I'm thankful that I'll never, ever have to re-arrange my schedule for my appendix.
It will probably be my gall bladder next time.  I just hope Ben is in the country to enjoy the fun.

No comments: