Thursday, November 10, 2011

How Much do Chicken Feet Cost?

I know some of my friends aren't chicken people.  You know who you are.  You don't want a whole chicken unless it's cooked and in a cute plastic rotisserie pan.  You're not a fan of raw and parts and who knows what else they put inside of that chicken you find in the meat department. Some of you might even be searching for the "back" button right now.  Never mind where I'm going with this; you're headed back to facebook or pinterest or somewhere fun and full of puppies and sunshine and anything but raw chicken.   Don't worry; I'm not going to show you pictures of the pile of chicken feet I saw at the market on Tuesday. 

But I thought you might enjoy this picture.

Can you see what the blue package says right below  "Fresh Chicken" ?  It says, "With Head and Feet".  Now that Harris Teeter special is looking better and better, isn't it?  I admit, I haven't had to mess with the head and the feet; the Chicken Man who delivers our chicken happily keeps those parts for himself. 

Even if we didn't have the Chicken Man (who is coming to see me on Saturday, by the way!), we could buy the red packaged chicken on the right in the picture above - sold without head and feet.  Now, note the price difference.  Evidently, they're passing on the cost of head and foot removal.  S$0.30 more.  That's thirty cents that I'll gladly pay all day long. 

As AK says, "we don't like the feet in our dumplings, do we, Mama?"  No, dear, indeed we do not.

No comments: